Sustainable off-site construction
Minimise the environmental impact of your buildings with highly sustainable construction from a responsible supplier
If you’re looking for a sustainable way to construct high-quality new buildings of any size, there’s no more environmentally sensitive option than a Yorkon building solution from the Portakabin Group.
Off-site construction is inherently sustainable, and the Yorkon building solutions have been developed to reduce environmental impacts, using lean manufacturing techniques to minimise waste while optimising the use of sustainable and recycled materials.
Here are some of the reasons why a Yorkon building solution is the first choice for sustainability:
- 94% of materials used to manufacture the buildings are recycled.
- Insulation material used in wall and roof panels contains no HCFCs and has an ozone-depletion potential of zero – to help protect the environment.
- Precision-made steel-framed buildings minimise air leakage for improved thermal efficiency, lower running costs and reduced carbon emissions.
- Low and zero carbon (LZC) technologies can easily be incorporated into your building.
- Our manufacturing processes are energy efficient, with minimal hot and mechanised processes.
- The Portakabin Group sends zero waste to landfill. Any non-recyclable waste is incinerated for power generation.
- Intelligent design removes waste-generating operations from the manufacturing process.
- Up to 67% less energy is required to produce a modular building than a traditionally constructed building (Source: Arup Research and Development).
- 79% of the steel used in the manufacture of Yorkon buildings is supplied from within the UK, strongly supporting British manufacturing and minimising our carbon footprint compared to steel imports from Asia.
- Off-site construction generates up to 90% less waste than site-based building methods (Source: WRAP).
- There are up to 90% fewer vehicle movements on site than on a traditional construction project – reducing noise, dust, congestion and carbon emissions (Source: Mtech).
The Portakabin Group has achieved the internationally recognised ISO 14001 accreditation for its environmental management systems, providing additional reassurance in our sustainability credentials.